Skip to main content


Are your stations staffed 24 hours a day?

McKenzie Fire & Rescue logo

While our Headquarter Station in Leaburg provides response coverage 24-hours a day, outlying stations (Walterville, Camp Creek, Vida, and Nimrod) are primarily volunteer response. Our student program also provides 24 hour AABBCC shift coverage during the school year.  

How many emergency incidents do you respond to each year?

We respond to over 800 emergency calls each year.

Where can I get my blood pressure checked?

You may come to Station 3 in Leaburg, between 8:00am and 5:00pm, Monday through Friday .

Why are volunteer firefighters needed?

Volunteer firefighters provide the community with fire protection, without the cost associated with a full time, fully paid fire department. There is a growing need for additional volunteer firefighters due to the steady growth in population in our community, and with the anticipated increase in the number of annual emergency calls. To insure the future of low cost fire service and proper staffing levels for fire suppression, the volunteer men and women who now serve with McKenzie Fire and Rescue are asking you to become a VOLUNTEER. Not only are firefighters needed, but volunteers who are willing to serve as members in support roles, such as fund raising committees, public education and fire prevention, and computer data entry, are also needed.

What is the first step to volunteering?

Make sure you’re ready to commit. Making the decision to become a volunteer firefighter should not be taken lightly. It requires hundreds of hours of training and a strong commitment to service.

How often do you accept volunteers?

We generally accept volunteers any time but the Firefighter Academy only happens once or twice a year.

How do I become a volunteer?

Fill out an online application. Call or email Captain David Sherwood with any questions. 541-896- 3311 or

Can a volunteer position lead to a career in firefighting?

Yes. Volunteering is one of the best ways to get the necessary training and experience to be an attractive candidate for a career firefighting position.

What kind of training is involved?

Because their job is so important, volunteer firefighters are trained and equipped, at no cost to the volunteer. Each potential volunteer firefighter must undergo in-house training, in addition to certified fire and rescue training, as a probationary active member. Additional training in both fire and emergency medical services is provided as courses become available. Upon completion of training, probationary members are fully equipped with protective fire fighting gear and alerting pagers.

Do you transport patients to the hospital?

No, our patient transportation is handled by the Advanced Life Support Medic Units from Eugene and Springfield. In certain cases, transportation may also be provided by helicopter. But because your local fire district personnel are trained, emergency responders located closer than the Eugene/Springfield units. Life-saving treatments and patient stabilization can be started long before the Medic unit arrives.

How do I get a copy of a fire investigation report?

Our fire investigations are handled by the Oregon Deputy State Fire Marshal’s Office. Lane County’s Deputy Fire Marshal is: Kristina Deschaine, 3620 Gateway Street, Springfield, OR 97477-6007, Phone 541-726- 2572, Email

What should I do with a fire extinguisher that doesn’t work?

If the extinguisher has a metal valve assembly, it can be recharged. You may find a company to do that by looking in the Yellow Pages under Fire Extinguishers or conducting an online search. Compare the price of recharging with the purchase of a comparable new extinguisher. If the extinguisher has a plastic valve and handle assembly, it must be recycled.

Will a fire inspector come out and look at my wood stove?

We do not inspect wood stoves. New installations of wood stoves require a permit. Go to Lane County’s web page.

How do I schedule a fire truck or firefighters at an event?

If you are within our district, call or email us at least one month in advance to make arrangements, 541-896-3311.